Friday, January 8, 2010

Local Knowledge

Well it might not have been the ball tearer of a day that was expected but it was still pretty nice. Probably the highest I have been since arriving and it was nice to be able to look down at most of the mountains for a change. The task setters are starting to play tricks, and set a couple of really high passes for us to negotiate. But the height was available, so all was good. Going north I had height at all the right times and eventually found myself working up to final glide (at 4400 metres if you don’t mind) with Carlos Rocca, the local Chilean ace. He then proceeded to beat me
home by 15 minutes. On final glide. He came 2nd, I was 12th. I haven’t looked at his trace yet to find out how he did it but I suspect he must know something that I don’t. Oh well. I guess if I had another hundred flights here I could figure it out too. It is likely that this will be the last blog entry before I get home; we are flying out tomorrow night (matters maternal are looming!!) and time may be pressing. This trip has been great fun, it has been educational, exhilarating and occasionally downright terrifying. Thanks to the Chileans for putting on a superb event; they are the most gracious and charming hosts imaginable. Thanks to Mark for looking after me and the glider, and thanks to those at home for all your kind thoughts.
Adios from Vitacura!!!

3 comments:

  1. G,day again mate, I have enjoyed following your progress daily. You can tell your friends in Chile that you are heading home to 43C temperatures (for the next 3 days at least)with minimums of about 25C - 30Cish overnight. Please compliment the organisers on a brilliant coverage on the net from us in OZ. I look forward to tracking you "tomorrow" and having a few cold beers when you get back. Best of luck for tomorrow. Cheers, Scruff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Graham & Mark, I have enjoyed your very entertaining and informative Blog Site, it certainly has been an adventure for you both.
    Just think I could have had a week or so polising your wingtips on the Waik. tarmac at over 50C. at ground zero, oh well must go now as my desk top CPU needs an ice block,safe journey home, all the best. Roly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well we did have a ball tearer of a day at Waikerie - Taylor did 170kph, fastest speed at Aust'n nats!
    Safe trip home
    cu
    K

    ReplyDelete