Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Who's a naughty boy then?

I know I promised to fix my finish line indiscretions but I guess the penalty is punishment enough. Slightly more reliable weather today with a few cu around to mark the lift. The pack split into two very shortly after the start; those of us who stayed back in a modest climb to enable safe passage to the next valley got to watch from above as several gliders groveled about in the area that got me into trouble yesterday. Safely into the aptly named “valley of death” I had a nice climb all to myself, then had a trouble free run in and out of the first turn. A high point just past the second turn had me in front and in a great position to take the high passes back to the Santiago valley. I didn’t know it at the time but I probably had final glide at that point but I was a little conservative, took another climb, then watched Mario Kiessling sneak in front. He then gave me a lesson in how to run the ridges down to the south and home. Carlos Rocca also joined in the fun; we were 10 metres apart, wing tip to wing tip for the last 5 km. At the 3km mark I glanced at the final glide indicator, it said +150 metres. Ok, good, but I forgot that it takes into account total energy and I was so busy trying not to bump into Carlos that I didn’t look at absolute altitude until it was a bit late. So, second across the line but finishing low is almost a hanging offense in this comp so I dropped a few places. Tonight we had the official opening ceremony. At the end of day four. Oh well. It was OK really; lots of locals turned out, it was mercifully free of long speeches and there was a fantastic video presentation on the big screen featuring all the pilots. Weather is said to be OK for the next few days, so the fun continues. Opening ceremony
Glider line up at opening ceremony

4 comments:

  1. Opening Ceremony is today, just because we couldn't get anybody to attend saturday, right after New Years! Sorry to crash your page, but you don't know how much fun I have reading it... The Webmaster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Sexy!! Oohh, we are so proud of you - had a feeling that you would do well. Second across the line is fantastic; shame about the penalty but everyone knows that you really came second (wing tip to wing tip is a bit 'hairy' though!).
    Love the photo's from the opening ceremony. You are without doubt the SEXIEST pilot!!
    Have a great flight tomorrow and keep up the great work.
    With love always, Danielle, Lauren & Bottle xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. G,day mate, I needed a pee at about 4.30 this morning so I checked to see if the "streaming" was working. It was !!!!! I watched and listened to the race from start to finish. I loved it when Mark was interviewed on line and was asked "how has Graham prepared himself for this race considering the results from the past couple of days?" The reply : A BIG GERMAN SCHNITZEL and BEER. Good effort (Sexy) I look forward to the coverage every morning, and make a point of checking it. Cheers, Scruff

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done mate, stout effort today!
    Best of luck for the remaining days.

    ReplyDelete